Why your privacy matters to us
We collect a variety of information from visitors to our website, some of which can be confidential. This document explains the types of information we collect and what we do with that information (among other things).
What kind of information do we collect?
Regardless of whether you register on the website, we will collect general information that is not personal to you. This type of information generally relates to your behaviour on the site, and includes things like the type of browser you are using, your geographic location, and how you came to the website. It also includes information that will help us trouble-shoot problems, analyse our resources and improve our services. There is nothing in that kind of information that could enable anyone to identify who you are.
There are many aspects of the site that can be viewed without providing personal information, however, for access to future StorageCompare customer support features and Instant Appraisal you are required to submit personally identifiable information. This may include but not limited to name, email, phone, address, or provide sensitive information to confirm your identity and property ownership.
If we have received personal information that we have not requested (unsolicited personal information) we will delete or destroy it as soon as practicable but only if it is lawful and reasonable to do so, or ensure that the information is de-identified.
In certain circumstances we may be required or permitted by law, court or tribunal order to collect certain personal information about you.
You do not have to provide us with your personal information, but if you do not provide us with the personal information that we need, we may not be able to provide our services or assistance to you or on your behalf.
When do we collect personal information?
We collect personal information in a number of ways, including:
• when you visit and interact with our website and related software (including mobile applications);
• when you register with our website;
• through cookies and other technologies that allow us to give you a better experience on our website; and
• When you contact and interact with us independently of the website, such as by email, phone or in person.
Where relevant you consent to StorageCompare posting and using any photographs and/or personal information you might upload both on its website, its social media sites (including Facebook) and in any other content or copy we may use for the purpose of our functions and/or activities.
How do we use your personal information?
We collect your personal information in order that you may receive the benefit of our website.
• disclose to a real estate agent, removalists, insurance, financial services, home style and packaging companies your name and contact details;
• establish, maintain and administer your account;
• develop, administer and enhance the algorithms, functionality and performance of Instant Appraisal;
• send you service or promotional communications, including newsletters, surveys and information about security updates;
• create or distribute advertising material that is relevant to you;
• conduct verifications of profiles, checking credentials, monitoring and reporting as reported under the StorageCompare Terms of Service or under any applicable laws;
• quality assurance and training purposes;
• to provide stories, commentary or share photos or other personal information you have uploaded on our website onto other social media channels associated with StorageCompare (including Facebook); and
• Any other uses identified at the time of collecting your personal information.
Your personal information may also be sent to our customer service teams who reside in New Zealand and the Philippines and assist us in providing the services to you.
When might we disclose your personal information?
Any personal information provided to us may be disclosed, if appropriate, to other entities in order to facilitate the purpose for which the information was collected. Such entities generally include:
• third party service providers for the purpose of enabling them to provide a service such as (but not limited to) Instant Appraisal, payroll, superannuation administration, IT service providers, data storage, web-hosting and server providers, debt collectors;
• our third party partners or entities with whom Storage Compare has a commercial relationship;
• any related entity of StorageCompare;
• any applicable or relevant regulator or third party for the purpose of legislative or contractual compliance and/or reporting; or
• Other entities if you have given your express consent.
Those entities will be permitted to obtain only the personal information necessary to deliver the service. StorageCompare takes reasonable steps to ensure that these organisations and individuals are bound by confidentiality and privacy obligations in relation to the protection of your personal information.
If you conduct any transaction that requires a payment by you, some of your details may be provided to a third party payment processor to allow the transaction to be completed.
Does Storage Compare use personal information for direct marketing?
From time to time we may use the personal information we collect from you to identify particular StorageCompare services that we believe may be of interest to you. We may then contact you to let you know about these services and how they may benefit you. We will generally only do this with your prior consent (where practical) and we will always give you a choice to opt out of receiving such information in future.
Direct Marketing from StorageCompare generally takes the form of an Electronic marketing email.
Electronic marketing – Where we use your personal information to send you marketing information by email, SMS, MMS or other electronic means we may do so with your express or implied consent. You may give us your express consent by, for example, ticking a box on an electronic or signing in paper form where we seek your permission to send you electronic or other marketing information. Consent may be implied from our existing business relationship or where you have a reasonable expectation of receiving an electronic marketing communication.
Every directly addressed marketing contact sent or made by StorageCompare will include a means by which customers may unsubscribe (or opt out) of receiving further marketing information. Additionally, you may instruct us at any time to remove any previous consent you provided to receive marketing communications from us. Requests should be directed to us via the channels provided under ‘Contact us’ below.
Links to third party websites
Personal information about employees or job applicants
StorageCompare may also collect personal information from you if you apply for a job with and/or become employed by us. In these circumstances:
• You authorise us to collect any personal information (whether written or verbal) from any referee or previous employer specified in your application for employment or curriculum vitae for evaluation of your application for employment and to hold such information on your personal file for future evaluation of your employment by us.
• You acknowledge that we collect your personal information for the purpose of evaluating your application for employment and, should you accept employment with us, the assessment of your continued employment by us and the administration by us of your remuneration and any PAYE obligations.
• You acknowledge that a failure by you to provide the requested personal information will have a detrimental effect on our ability to give your application proper consideration. You can request to access and/or correct your personal information in accordance with this policy.
Accessing your personal information held by Storage Compare
You may review, edit, correct or delete any personal information you submit to us at any time. You just need to log into your account to do this.
You may access personal information we otherwise hold about you. Access to your personal information may be denied on certain grounds including, for example: it is unlawful; it may have an unreasonable impact upon the privacy of other individuals; or your request is frivolous or vexatious. If we deny you access we will provide our reason for doing so at the time of your request.
If you wish to access the personal information we hold about you or request correction of it, you should contact the Privacy Officer on the details below who will respond to your request within a reasonable period after the request is made.
While we do not charge you for a request for accessing your personal information you should be aware that we may charge a reasonable fee (which will be notified to you once you make a request) for time and cost in the following circumstances:
• If an extended amount of time is required to collate and prepare material for you; and
• If you wish to have your files photocopied for you.
How can you correct and update your information?
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we hold about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, we also rely on you to advise us of any changes to your personal information by maintaining and updating your profile.
Please contact us using the contact details below as soon as possible if there are any changes to your personal information or if you believe the personal information we hold about you is not accurate, complete or up-to-date so that we can update your file accordingly.
Dealing with us Anonymously or by Pseudonym
In order for us to successfully do business with you it will not, in most circumstances, be practical for us to deal with you without you providing relevant personal information to us. However, where it is lawful and practicable to do so, you may deal with us anonymously or by using a pseudonym.
Storage and security
We will take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information, and you will be able to access your personal information held on the website at any time (subject to service outages) to keep it updated.
Although we aim to create a safe, secure environment by trying to limit access to the website to legitimate users, we cannot guarantee that unauthorised parties will not gain access. We will not have any liability arising from any unauthorised access to your personal information.
All such enquiries or complaints will be taken seriously and will be handled as soon as reasonably practicable.
Please contact us at our offices via the contact details provided below if you want to:
• obtain further information about the way we manage your personal information;
• access your personal information held by us;
• raise a concern or make a complaint regarding how we collect or handle your personal information;
• correct or update your personal information held by us; or
• Unsubscribe from any StorageCompare mailing list or have any questions or complaints regarding unsolicited electronic communications that you may have received or are concerned about.
Please contact us immediately if you become aware of any unauthorised use of your account by anyone else or any other breach of security.
Contact Details: Level 27, 101 Collins Street, Melbourne 3000; Telephone: 1800 226 668; E-mail: email@example.com
Need more information on privacy?
For more general information regarding privacy in Australia, visit the website of the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (www.oaic.gov.au).